Monday, March 2, 2009

12.16.08 - scanning the gray skies [poems]

seventh sunday


***
*******

when i decided to

live realistically,

and my faith was discarded forever:

a steeple upon

a tottering temple,

and a bridge

of unstable support.


i denied in silence,

my confession kept quiet

for my mind was never at ease.

their judgments were shallow:

yet i drown in their tide,

i will not give up life for

Him.


i became more assure,

no doubt in my

mind, there was no one up

in the sky. hypocritically ignorant,

but aren’t we all?

your soul’s just as

tarnished as mine.

*******

***



protecting my tower


nine eleven was not kind to you.

yet still you stand,

the tallest,

hope for US.

defenseless,

you wait motionless

for an aircraft to

pierce your skull

of glass.


and I watch over you

from my backyard

on the offense.

scanning the sky

a subtle grey,

scanning…

powerless, I feel,

I cannot protect you

I cannot

protect

what is greater than me.

death,

a mechanical bird,

wings now knives.

it approaches the guardian of my grim city.

an exit wound of smoke,

your heart now debris,

and my understanding of love

collapses along with you



Butters


O goldfish,

how sadly you went.

Not but a day did you stay

in my home. O why did

you leap from your bowl

Into the sink? Was the water

too cold? Was my love

too much for you to bear?


O mother,

hater of all things swimmy,

why did you place his bowl

in the sink?

Was your heart so cold,

even colder than the water

dear Butters fled from forever?


O sink,

you metallic,

heartless wretch.

So greedily did you

gobble up my goldfish.

I would take a hammer

to your heart,

were it not that I

drank from you daily.


O me,

poor, defenseless me.

How I suffered when

I found your bowl

empty,

the wate, still

rippling from your

dive of death

down the drain

to your demise.


O, how I grieved.

O, how I purchased

Butters the Second.



No comments: